A Doc's Life is a underground Medical Blog about some poor Singapore doctors. They are sibei sian and very buay song. Best practices not observed!
(Warning: Grammar is non existent in this blog. Those obsessively compulsive about good English please go no further and book an appointment to see your psychiatrist in Singapore.)

Monday, August 29, 2005

Dengue Alert!


Being a responsible (but fake) doctor, I will take this opportunity while my traffic is still somewhat boasted by Sunday's publicity to spread an important message.

You see, I hate mosquitoes! The animosity began in those pre aircon days. At that time we only had fans and the windows were often opened big big to invite these foul creatures into the bedroom. Many nights as a young child I had to endure those sickening itch and could not sleep well. Poor sleep translated into poor attention in school, ultimately resulting in not so good results. I suspect this to be one of the two reasons why I was not given those prestigious gahmen scholarships (or not I will be some big shot writing policies, not blog!). The other being that I didn't apply.

My dislike for these flying vampires grew in my army daze where I was to experience first hand those frightening "tiger mosquitoes". This type of mosquitoes are damn fierce and can even suck your blood through the army uniform! But of course they still pale in comparison with other blood suckers like the forever increasing GST, income tax, road tax and radio license.

Now, mosquitoes not only get on my nerve, they also endanger our well being. Those Aedes mosquitoes carry the dengue virus. Don't worry mosquitoes don't spread the AIDS virus, you only get those from love bites (not mosquitoe bites). But keep in mind that Dengue is potentially fatal. If you have fever and rashes which are like little pin point red dots, please go see a doctor!

Most importantly, as the saying goes, prevention is better than cure (especially when dengue got no cure)! So I did my part by not watering the plants when my mother was away last month. I succeeded in causing most of the plants to dehydrate but when she came back, she was really hoping mad.

Mother: wah lau! why you never water my plants?
BL: wah lau, they breed mosquitoes ok! I get dengue how?
Mother: dun anyhow say ar! I clear the water in the pots everyday!!!!

Yah! Sure you do!

I guess the authority's initiative of getting more inspectors to issue more fines to check for stagnant water ain't gonna be too successful given that there are mothers out there who treasure their pots of plants more than the lifes of their sons. Maybe we should just import more of those slippery lizards! The two residential lizards in my home seemed to be having the time of their life with the feasting. Come to think of it, better go chase them around or not they get too obese and die from coronary heart disease!!!!

27 comments:

  1. so trueeee.. ive got lots of dengue fever cases right now esp blangardaseh workers. no cure only symptomatic tx. i wanted to ask if u guys will change your posting every 4-6mths? and for med students with red tag.. what does it mean? its not that ive something against them but i feel that med students only know how to disturb my pts and practise their bld taking. *slaps forehead*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:27 PM

    army personnels at lim chu kang!! there're in danger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:33 PM

    loctor, u sure u not rockson ah?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:47 AM

    Was wondering Gloria is a new nurse. Hmm...medical students need to learn how to set plugs and draw blood. If not how are they gonna be doctors in future rite? Tink we should be more patient in guiding them along the way and not criticising them coz everyone starts off as a newbie. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:57 AM

    Its really hard for medical students to know 10000+ diseases just by reading off the 1000+ textbooks, so giving opportunities for them to learn from patients will be really nice. Wats more taking blood is a skill which needs experience. i certainly dun like the idea of a person opening up a book on blood taking procedures while drawing blood from me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I got to know your blog through sunday times. I'm wondering if I can make some reference to your blog and recommend it to my friends? Nice blog you got here. Really enjoy reading your entries. So funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. gracie: sure you can, you can also add that i am a good looking, 1.9m tall, stud, no lah just kidding.

    gloria: as it is, patients already make it hard for students to practice. be nice to them pls, pls? otherwise the whole vicious cycle of nurse hate doctor hate nurse hate doctor starts again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Doc ..

    Am linking u up ...

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:26 PM

    Hey doc,

    i think you are so cool! can i marry you?

    erica.the.cat@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sure! Could you first send in a photo and complete the application form that can be downloaded on the sidebar. those who do not have the sufficient mental capacity to find and download the form need not apply.

    just kidding, i think you can do better lah! take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:56 PM

    Dr,

    now is not a question of whether i can give you my picture, but whether you are ready or not. are the doctors in singapore ready for my bombastically bimbotic, picture-perfect picture?!?!?! hahahaha!!!

    nah, never mind. you might be balding and potbellied for all i know. but then, how can i be sure? maybe i will take to checking you out and stalking you like a regular pervert does.

    haiz ... just kidding. dont call mata on me hur!

    erica.the.cat@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi doc!!

    got here fr the straits times! your blog is really funny! and it helps poor mugging struggling med students like me and my friends! am linking you to my blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eh doc,

    You seem very free hor. So much time to write. No need to see patients meh? Thought working in hospital very very bo eng one ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I employed some banglahs to help me type all these pre-prepared comments, so sometimes the comments might be re used, for eg
    I employed some banglahs to help me type all these pre-prepared comments, so sometimes the comments might be re used

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous5:37 PM

    Hello to you. May I say that you have an excellent Blog and well worth the visit. I will definitely come back again as I found it of interest.
    compare broadband phone services site covering compare broadband phone services related stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous5:50 PM

    why are there so many spamming?

    anyway, just to say hi!
    i work in the hospital too but i'm not a doctor or nurse... :)

    btw why did u say never to find a doctor as husband?
    i know of some doctors who are very gd husband/bf...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous7:56 PM

    SARS
    dengue cases increase
    bird flu spreading
    melioidosis is common in SG
    TB is still a concern
    polio in Indonesia

    We all die already lah!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous9:12 PM

    yes, pls, medical students are already pathetic.. we've kanna get scolding here and there.. we dun need another person to whack us on the head anymore. sob sob! so hope more pple, gloria(no offense!), will pity us and let us draw blood and practise setting plugs so that we'll become functioning doctors in the future. U wouldn't want a bumbling doctor to be drawing blood and doing other stuffs on u wouldn't they? Already, some med students are complaining about how horrible some sisters are..(not tat I mean all! but perhaps they can be nicer to us!). we're already the lowest of the rung. Dun make our life anymore miserable! DUN forget one day we'll all be doctors. U dun wan us to make ur life miserable too, dun u?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous9:16 PM

    AND excuse me, we DUN disturb patients. we are there to learn.SOme patients already give us a hard time. So pls dun slap ur forehead and whine. Have more pity. Dun u all start out as a greenhorn? NO ONE IS BORN SMART OR KNOW EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD! do have heart for others who are learning the ropes of the world and their art. and yes red tags, green tags, blue tags..they are all the various yrs of medical students. Think back to the days u were as a student... Sorry, I just got whack by a senior nurse today who just decided to anyhow scold medical students for no reason just coz they are innocent bystanders passing by the ward.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous9:25 PM

    Oh, and another thing i've realized is how many female nurses hate female docs and female med students.. eeek. can't they be more civilised and treat their own fairer sex nicer? No wonder so barbaric they are.. tsk tsk. My whole image of nurses has gone down the drain.

    ReplyDelete
  21. woohoo, 23 comments is my record so far. Thanks SPAM!

    ReplyDelete
  22. alright alright.. perharps i shld change my perspective of med.students then. med students are not the lowest rung of all.. nursing students are but it seems that they do get treated better.

    ReplyDelete
  23. are your female counterparts really fighting? can you blog about this??

    ReplyDelete
  24. haha you want cat fight isit?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous10:28 AM

    Hi Dr BL Og. Can I find any information on http://www.livechathelp.com here? My friend said to check out this post for information on old hospital bills but this does not seem like the most relevant of blogs. I like cruzing through your site but maybe search engines might have more information. Need to come back later though...great blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous2:18 AM

    I enjoyed you blog about lower liver enzymes. I also have a site about lower liver enzymes which makes me appreciate this one even more! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous9:10 AM

    I enjoyed you blog about kidney disease. I also have a site about kidney disease which makes me appreciate this one even more! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete