A Doc's Life is a underground Medical Blog about some poor Singapore doctors. They are sibei sian and very buay song. Best practices not observed!
(Warning: Grammar is non existent in this blog. Those obsessively compulsive about good English please go no further and book an appointment to see your psychiatrist in Singapore.)

Monday, August 15, 2005

The Skeleton In My Closet

Life as a first year medical student was really quite a bore. It didn't take long for the few pretty ones to get hitched (see here to know why so few chio bu in med fac). To be more accurate, they were all taken up even before school started, in medic camp that is.

So after the initial shock of having to cut dead people up, things were getting a little slow. There were no chio bu left to bio, and we were all falling asleep in the lecture theatre after the lights went out and the OHP went on. The lousy wooden seats in the LT was so uncomfortable that we were perpetually shifting our ass all the time to prevent buttock sores. After paying the most expensive school fees..... we had the worst seats.

While the guys in the other faculties were busy looking for sex and the girls were busy finding love, we medics were busy studying to pass our anatomy weekly test. The tests were always scheduled for fridays and if you failed, you felt stupid and lousy for the whole weekend. Otherwise you start preparing for next week's test during the weekend! Yipee!!!

So it should come as no surprise that I did not manage to bring home a girl in my first year. Well, I did bring Johnny back. Johnny is German and was about 175cm tall. His palm was about the same size as mine and he had this perpetual smile on his face (or what's left of it).No, no, no..... Johnny aren't my gay friend! He is not even alive for goodness sake.

Johnny is actually my half set skeleton. I bought him for MR$750 from my senior and there was only half of him in the box. The skull is complete though and I reckoned the other half was prolly left with his family to be buried. I used him to study the bony structures of the human body and I named him after Johnny Bravo who was at that time my fave cartoon character. From the certificate of authencity, I knew he was German of origin.

Initially I proudly displayed him in his full glory on my shelves. But when my anatomy exams where over, my mother told me to keep him away. Hahaha, the whole family was really spooked by his presence. Unlike some skeletons owned by my friends, Johnny was a good pal and never gave me or my family any problems. A friend of mine kept having a recurring nightmare of a man in a black horse spearing him to death after bringing home his skeleton, but then again he doubled up the skull as his ash tray.

So heeding my mum's advise, Johnny has been kept in my closet ever since. He left once when loaned to a junior. Latelyhe is with a friend of mine taking his surgical exams. I had tried several times to lelong Johnny in the local medical forums. But no one ever reads those forums. Damn!

Johnny is in prestine condition. Anyone interested in owning such a wonderful curios can leave me his email or email me directly. I am willing to part with him for a paltry sum of $1000 $750 $500 only because petrol prices keep spiralling upwards and I need my car to drive my sickly old grannies to the hospitals for follow ups. sob sob!

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:48 PM

    hi there
    i am a HO in hongkong. just started july first. surgical rotation. surf onto ur hp by chance. interesting read. being HO in hk is just abt the same. a little bit better maybe coz we have phelobotomist here. HO only need to take blood for X match and for new admissions. and we only have one in three calls. so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. got pic of johnny or not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear HK HO, thanks for reading, goodluck in your work.
    tinkertailor, my johnny is with a friend. will put up his pic once he is back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:24 PM

    Using Fiction to Sell Fiction
    For adult children, few situations can be as tricky and emotionally fraught as watching parents age and lose the ability to manage their own affairs, especially when it comes to money.

    Hi, you have a great blog. I'm definitely going to bookmark it.

    My Site is a granite city electric related page.

    Check it out if you get some time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:38 PM

    First Amendment, Schmirst Amendment
    For entirely selfish reasons, we're always happy to see more advertising moving to websites generally and to blogs specifically.
    Hmm - some curious thoughts here. maybe you'll enjoy a visit to my site about weight loss at weight loss

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:02 PM

    I heard that later batches die die must have skeleton... have anatomy museum to use, $$$ can use for other things...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:53 PM

    we don't use skeletons very much now.. bones not very impt like that. last year's spots only test on functional relations and impt joints, more clinical relevant stuff.
    who cares if i know what the hook of hamate is..
    think u can sell skull cos that one still impt for spots

    ReplyDelete
  8. the skull was best recycled as a bowling ball, surprising how comfortable the eye sockets fit around my fingers.
    try posting notices around the med library, i'm sure some innocent M1 will get conned, muahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eck. So scary. Got dicky attached one or not?

    ReplyDelete
  10. wah lau, there are no bones in the dick wor!!!
    tot you getting married liao???? don't pretend so innocent leh!

    ReplyDelete